Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Plane Rides

Singapore --> Frankfurt
I am glad I don't need to take the puke pills now. I used to puke my guts out on planes if I eat anything or drink anything.?Then I'll be dehydrated and severely hungry by the end of the ride.
One day I was puking as usual when an air stewardess offered a pill to me. Ever since then, my mother has been giving me the pills everytime before I board the plane. Firstly, they make me sleepy so that I'll sleep on the plane ride. And they helped me start to actually eat something on the plane. I still avoided consuming liquids too much though.
So this time, this will be the first long-distance ride I am taking without the pills. And I am glad I was not the least bit nauseous :)?This is quite an improvement I have to admit haha
Since it was a midnight flight, we had supper! It was optional, but there was beef steak on the menu. And if you didn't know, I eat steak when I can haha. I am simply addicted to steak. But no worries, it's a mild addiction :P
Lookin at the drinks menu, I also decided to go wild for a litle while.

Let me list some of them out here:
Aperitifs: Campari, Dry Vermouth
Spirits: Cognac Otard VSOP, Johnnie Walker Red Label, Jim Beam Black Label Whisky, Gordon's Dry Gin, Smirnoff Red Label Vodka, Bacardi Superior
Liqueurs: Cointreau, Baileys Original Irish Cream
Cocktail: Singapore Sling, Alspritizer, Screwdriver, Bloody Mary

And after tasting Cointreau over Project Week, I have decided to try it out again. The air stewardess came back with a plastic cup half-filled with ice, and the slightly cloudy Cointreau in it.
Just to prepare myself for what I was about to consume, I took a whiff of it first. The stench of alcohol literally hit me in the face and I swear my nose twitched! It has been about 3 months since I last drank anything alcoholic. Over Project Week it had been almost every night.
I took a sip and savoured the lemony taste in my mouth. Letting the drink slide over my tongue before I eventually swallowed it. I found myself tilting my head back and eyes half-closed in enjoyment of the drink. It was really good and I missed the taste haha. I would have tried Black Russian again but they didn't have any so I had to make do with Cointreau.
When I finished the shot, I felt a slight pinch in my brain but it was fine. I had warmed up after the drink and that was all that mattered at that moment. The plane was really cold and I thought it would help warm me up, and it did. Funny how I was drinking a cold drink to warm up.
I sighed and I smelled the alcohol in my breath. Lemony. Hahaha
I thought it would've helped me sleep too. But that didn't happen I'm afraid. I couldn't fall asleep because my head just kept falling from side to side. I blew up my travelling pillow and put it around my neck, but that didn't really help either because my breathing sort of got cut off and I'd probably have died from suffocation in my sleep. I tossed, turned, but there wasn't much space to do any of that either. It was torture for me.
In the end, I managed to sleep for about 3-4 hours, and waking up several times in between. 2 passengers next to me had to go to the toilet and since I sat next to the aisle, they had to wake me up. The man next to me always tapped my knees haha.
Sitting next to these 2 passengers was fun. The girl next to the window is Indonesian too, and apparently her sister is also going to Brown summer school for a medical course! And she herself graduated from UWCSEA in 2008! So coincidental! It was actually pretty cool. And so we started talking about teachers, lessons, and the system. And she told me how her acne became worse in Grade 12. She mentioned her parents scolding her about her acne condition and I told her mine were too. We literally high-fives haha. "Those typical Indonesian parents you know? All about the face," I said. "Yes yes omg!" she replied. Hahaha
Afterwards, about 9 hours later into the flight, I was watching the Cinderella on Ice video on my iPod. I looked straight ahead and saw a man with Macbook Pro. And from the quality of the video, I could tell that he was watching a pirated version of Avatar haha. I wonder if he knew that the plane is showing Avatar on one of the channels of its in-plane televisions.
A kid across the aisle from me had an iPad. That was the first time I actually saw one up close. Haha
So on the plane ride, I finally watched Shutter Island, and Valentine's Day. Shutter Island was good, but not as good as I had hoped it to be. Valentine's day was rather predictable. I can't say that it's a good movie, and it's stupid. Sure some parts are quite sweet and with further analysis, you could take home some values and lessons from it. Then again, you can do that with almost any movie. But the values are especially about love and relationships, and I guess it's pretty useful...
So basically, other than the lack of sleep, and the sudden stench of human faeces that came up out of the blue, I had a good time on the plane to Frankfurt :) my mother was sitting in a class above mine, hence I could order the shot of Cointreau haha. Definitely making use of the little chances of freedom I can get :P?

Frankfurt --> New York
The first meal this time was breakfast. So I could not possibly ask for an alcoholic drink for breakfast haha.
I have just watched Dear John and I see a lot of similarities in my life. Sort of. I seem to like this movie even though I know it's those typical Nicholas Sparks sappy love stories that make you cry. And yet sometimes I find myself drawn to these movies. Of course it is always for a reason, and there will always be one person, out of many, that stands out in my mind as I watch these movies. The person could be from my past, or present, or both sometimes.
And I just happen to be able to connect so well to the characters every single time. Then again, I'm a sensitive soul. And I've gained, I've lost. I've been the dumper and the dumpee. I've been the active and the passive. I've been mended and torn. I've been through them all. It seems as if I watch these sad stories on purpose to remind me of the feelings I have felt in the past. Goodness, I have some moving-on issues. Not good.
Before I watched How To Train Your Dragon, Mutiara started talking to me again. We were about halfway to New York. That was good! We were joking about movies shown on the plane and how some were pretty outdated already. Haha
Back to the movie, it was rather cute haha a nice home movie to watch with children. It wasn't too bad. Reminds me a lot of Avatar though, the part when they started flying on the birds.
Then I guess I decided to watch some Asian movie. And so I picked a Korean one... Le Grand Chef: Kimchi Battle 2. Looking at all the different types of Kimchi made me really hungry. It felt like I could smell the food already. Luckily, the air stewardess gave me a pack of peanuts and a cup of apple juice. It satiated my hunger for awhile haha.
Afterwards, we did have more food. I had some chicken with pasta while I was watching Tooth Fairy. I had no idea what to watch on tv anymore. And so I just chose some random movie. The movies actually annoy me, I just watch them to hopefully pass the time. Mutiara was painfully counting down the hours, and I was immersing myself with movies and food to get myself distracted lol.
You have no idea how happy I was when the pilot's voice came onto the speakers to make the announcement that we were commencing our descent. The words "OH YES! FINALLY!" were just screaming in my head over and over again haha. Basically, I sat for about 18 hours, and I was relieved that it was over!!
However, I still had that short flight to Boston from New York. Yikes.

New York --> Boston
I was riding on Jet Blue. And it was really cool! Yes the plane was small but it had really comfortable leather seats and there was a tv for everyone. The stewardesses were also very funny and warm people so that was good.
And it happened to be the same day of the Fifa World Cup competition where it was S.Korea against Uruguay. Fortunately, the plane had satellite television too! You have no idea how happy I was! I was rooting for South Korea all the way till I had to get off the plane haha
The flight was short, so there was not much to do. But I'm glad that I didn't miss the match :)

No comments:

Post a Comment